Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day 818 - Is That Drink Kosher?


Since Crazy Grandma is still on the topic of Andrew's juice, I thought I'd share with you my latest amusement with the kids' journey towards clear enunciation. Although Emma is still ahead of Andrew with language development, they both can string words together in order to tell us what they want. It's a bit like a really lame Mad Lib: I want (noun).

Emma and Andrew know that every afternoon after they wake up from their nap they receive a watered-down cup of apple juice. As I was preparing their juice, I asked if they were excited for it and to my ear each time the kids asked for juice it sounded like they were saying, "Jews." I did not have my trusty camcorder with me, but the conversation I had with the kids went something like this...

"Hey kids! Do you know what I'm going to give you?" I asked.

The kids shouted together, "Jews!"

"Do you want juice, Emma?"

Emma said, "I want jews!"

"How about you, Andrew?"

Andrew chanted, "Jews! Jews! Jews!"

I gave them their sippy cups, and they sat on the couch to watch a few episodes of Seinfeld. And as usual, the kids came to me afterwards and asked for more juice.

"Dada! More jews," asked Emma.

"I'm sorry, Emma. No more juice for today."

Andrew sadly said, "No more jews..."

After a while, I swear I felt like I was watching a preschool presentation of Schindler's List. All I needed to do was put Andrew in a baldcap and teach him how to say, "The list is life." I'm sure all I will hear for the longest time is the kids asking for apple jews, but it's a lot better than hearing them ask for a big black clock.

No comments: