Monday, December 14, 2009

Day 803 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week, I asked what we should do about Andrew falling asleep in the car. Fifty percent of you masochists suggested that we keep him awake. Thirty-three percent thought we should let Andrew sleep. And then there were sixteen percent who strangely thought we should let Andrew walk it off. We did try that one time from downtown, but Andrew got confused between the 110 N and the 101 N and ended up in Pasadena.

I should've mentioned last week that Andrew tends to fall asleep in the car after lunch. I suppose the mixture of food and the close proximity of nap time may be the culprits. I'm going back to the twin excuse, but I believe if we only had one kid we would let Andrew fall asleep in the car. There are just so many problems when one kid naps and the other kid doesn't nap such as Lisa and I not being able to rest and...Lisa and I not being able to rest.

**********

The kids are almost 27 months now, and I plan to write an entry about what our experience has been with the terrible 2x2. The one brief thing I will say is that it certainly seems true that girls mature faster than boys. And by mature I mean the display of independence. And by independence I mean the wrath of all things evil compacted into the body of a two year old girl.

Emma can be the sweetest girl. When she's in public, she's very soft spoken and well-behaved. But at home, her comfort level is so high that she throws fits of anger and demands to do things by herself. I believe a lot of this frustration is due to her setting her mind on something, but being unable to do it because of her not-yet-refined motor skills and speech. But the one thing I do not like at all is that she's beginning to display her frustration with Andrew by hitting him.

Granted, Andrew may do things that annoy her like taking her toys, coloring on her paper, or peeing in her sippy cup. Yet Lisa and I want to make sure our kids do not hit each other. Understandably, many kids go through this phase. But how do you teach them not to hit? I have tried talking in a firm voice and taking her into a corner of a room to explain why hitting is not appropriate, but all I get is a glazed look reminiscent of Lisa listening to me telling a bad joke. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A 2 minute time out might help.