Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 804 - Food Network Jr.


I'm no chef, but I can at the very least look in our kitchen and figure out something to make for dinner. Albeit it's often Jell-o and toast, but that's at least something.

Today, I thought I would share a few recipes that Lisa and I make for the kids. All of them are really simple to make, and the kids eat it so I figure it can't be all that awful to eat. Since I don't measure anything out, I'll just approximate what I think I add. Enjoy...hopefully.

MEAT PATTIES
1 cup ground meat (chicken, turkey, beef)
1 egg
1/2 whole wheat toast
Assorted mixed veggies
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt for taste

Toast the whole wheat bread, and then grind it up in a mini food processor. Next add your mixed veggies. We use a little cooked broccoli and carrots. Mix in processor. Finally add one egg and your meat. Mix in processor again. Add olive oil to a pan, heat, and place a large spoonful of the meat mixture to it. Lightly salt for taste.

CRISPY RICE WITH VEGGIES
Cooked rice
Minced vegetables
Olive oil
Salt or soy sauce

Mince up your choice of cooked veggies and mix into a small bowl of freshly cooked rice. Add olive oil in a pan -- enough to coat it. We will then pack this rice mixture into small 1/4 cup measuring cups with a plastic bottom. The plastic bottom makes it easy to pop the rice back out. We will then lightly season the rice with either a little salt or a spritz of soy sauce. If the oil is hot enough, we cook the rice quickly just to give it a little crispiness.

MICKEY MOUSE WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES
1 cup multigrain pancake mix
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2 tablespoon apple sauce
Apple and blueberries for decoration

Whisk the pancake mix (we use Trader Joe's) with all of the ingredients. In a hot pan, I use 2 spoonful of the mix for Mickey's head and one spoonful for each of the ears. I then cut the apples into a crescent-shape for the mouth and blueberries for the eyes and mouth.

ICHIKAWA NIGHTTIME EXPRESS*
Warm milk
One whole turkey
Benadryl
Unisom
2 bottles of red wine

Blend all ingredients at the same time. Spoon feed until the kid falls asleep.

*Not responsible for being reported to social service or the police.

No comments: