Monday, December 7, 2009

Day 796 - Poll Result & New Poll


Last week, I asked what we should do about buying Emma's and Andrew's holiday gifts. Eighty-one percent thought we should not over do it with the presents since the kids are only two. The remaining votes were equal between waiting to see what the kids get from family and friends, and to just sell all of the gifts on ebay for cash. I think it is pretty inconsiderate to sell your gifts on ebay so that's just plain out of the questions. Craigslist is another story though...

I'd have to agree that there's no need to spend a lot of money on gifts for the kids. They are still at an age when everything is fascinating and new. The kids can find as much enjoyment playing with a large cardboard box as a $100 toy. That is why I am pleading with all of our family and friends not to spend money on useless gifts for the kids. Instead I plead that they should spend money on useful gifts for me. Please feel free to check out my wishlist on Amazon. Thank you.

**********

When Crazy Grandma and Lazy Grandpa babysit the kids during the week, they keep Emma and Andrew inside the house almost all of the time. The only times when they take the kids outside is when the weather is nice and when there's isn't a football game on television. So when the weekends arrive, the kids get excited when we take them outside.

The main problem with taking the kids out and about the town on the weekends is that Andrew inevitably falls asleep in the car. All it takes is about fifteen minutes of driving and then Andrew will pass out. This becomes a problem because even if he just sleeps five or ten minutes, he refreshes himself enough where he does not want to go down for a nap. Even more problematic is that this means LISA AND I cannot take a nap!

We have tried to keep Andrew awake in the car. If I am driving with Lisa, Lisa will try to keep Andrew awake by talking or singing to him. I'm surprised the singing doesn't work because Lisa's singing could keep a deaf person awake. Sometimes we are successful, but this means we end up making Andrew very angry and agitated.

So what do we do? Do we force Andrew to stay awake? Do we just let him fall asleep? Or do we never go out on the weekends again?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read that if your infant or toddler falls asleep in the car within 5-10 minutes and it's not his regular nap time, then it's a sign that he's not getting enough sleep at night.

Anonymous said...

I have read the same and have to say it holds true for my 2 year old.

Kelly said...

Some people just fall asleep in moving vehicles. My sister still does it and she's 23!