Monday, December 21, 2009

Day 810 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week I asked what we should do when Emma hits Andrew. Fifty-four percent thought we should put her in a corner for punishment. Great idea except we live in a cylindrical building. Twenty-seven percent thought there's nothing we can do about because it's part of their development, but we should still keep an eye on it. I think that's another way for saying bystander apathy.

Right now, we are trying to use different methods to keep Emma from beating up her brother. When I catch her smacking him around, I break it up and calmly explain to Emma that she should not hit. And then I tell Emma to say sorry and give him a hug. If she continues to hit him, I'll pick her up and take her to another part of the room and once again explain why it is wrong to hit. And if that still doesn't work, I'll tell Emma to hit Lisa instead.

**********

Every year, we send out two holiday card versions. One is your standard photo card of the kids; this is for our family members. The other version is the one we send to our friends that make them wonder whether or not I'm mentally unstable. For example, before we had Emma and Andrew, Lisa and I sent out holiday cards with a fake family. We used Lisa's friend's kids and created this entire family history for four years.

This year we sent out holiday newsletters with the conceit that we're so busy we didn't have time to write our own newsletter. So we asked our friend, Stephen King, to write it for us. The newsletter incorporates fact, fiction, and references to a bunch of Stephen King novels, short stories, and movies.

Since we will be leaving for our Northern California trip any day now, I won't have
internet access for about a week. Because of that, I thought I would post the entire newsletter in three parts over the next three days. So how does the poll get incorporated into this? I want you to tell me how many Stephen King references you can find! Better yet, leave a comment and list all of the references you can find. Good luck!

No comments: