Thursday, December 17, 2009

Day 806 - Back to (real) Work


As of this past Monday, I am playing the role of Mr. Mom again. Much like new underwear, it takes a little adjustment to get used to, but after a few tugs here and there you get back in the swing of things.

It has been months since I've been a stay-at-home parent so I was curious to see what it would be like again. After a day or two, I was reminded of what it was like: exhausting. I've always joked with my co-workers that when I return back to work it's like vacation for me. You know what? It's not a joke. I'm serious. See my tears of horror and exhaustion?

Yet despite the tiring schedule, it really is nice to be able to stay home and raise your children. Lisa and I don't plan on having any other children because the two at home plus the dozens of illegitimate children on the streets are way more than enough. Because of that there's a slight bittersweet feeling of raising these kids because we will only be experiencing parenthood once. Might as well savor as much of the good and bad as you can.

On my first day back on the home turf, the kids were very sweet and welcomed me back with open arms. It touched me so that I made a little video of my homecoming. It's quite Norman Rockwell-esque. Get out the tissues and call the neighbors.