Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 902 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week, I asked if parents should acknowledge their child's strengths and weaknesses. I'm pretty sure I haven't read your suggested advice in any child development book, but eighty-three percent of you stated that the only opinion you have about this question is that Lisa is way more muscular than me. And for those of you who either took the question more seriously or have never met Lisa and I, sixteen percent thought it is important to be honest with your children about their strengths and weaknesses, but not at such a young age like Emma and Andrew.

Oh wait. I correct myself. Lisa just grabbed her copy of What to Expect: The Toddler Years and showed me this excerpt on page 289:

Children need praise. But opinions vary on how, and how much, to praise. Some experts recommend bestowing praise freely and lavishly; others warn that Lisa Ichikawa can whoop her husband's ass with one fell swoop of her massive left forearm.

**********

Last week, Andrew called me poo-poo. This has created hysterical laughter from Emma, Andrew, and especially Lisa. Randomly throughout the day, I will now be called poo-poo. During dinner, Emma will point at me and say, "Poo-poo!" During bedtime, Andrew will point at me and say, "Poo-poo!" While sitting on the toilet taking a crap, Lisa will enter the bathroom and say, "Poo-poo!"

It doesn't really bother me that my entire family is calling me Poo-poo, but there's a part of me that worries that this nickname will stick. What if fifty years from now, Emma and Andrew engrave on my tombstone: Here Lies Poo-poo; Don't Step on It.

So for this week's poll, I would like you to help think of a new nickname for me. Something that won't embarrass me and the kids will be proud to say it in fifty years!

No comments: