Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 879 - Return of Crazy & Lazy


Most likely for the last time, Crazy Grandma and Lazy Grandpa returned to babysit Emma and Andrew for the next 3 1/2 months while I return to work. Crazy and Lazy told us they would help babysit the kids until they got old enough for preschool. I tried convince my parents that the new minimum age for preschool is eighteen, but even Crazy Grandma didn't fall for that one.

One obvious plus about this arrangement is that Emma and Andrew are able to spend time with their grandparents. And for a couple of senior citizens who misplace half a dozen objects a day, they do a great job and still haven't lost a kid. But a less obvious perk is that I get a humongous amount of material for this blog from Crazy Grandma's antics.

Crazy and Lazy have only been in Los Angeles for one day, but I already have two stories courtesy of Crazy Grandma. Here is just a small taste of many delicious stories that will be coming your way over the next few months!

STORY #1
Crazy Grandma was doing the dishes and placed our souvenir New Orleans ceramic ladle in the drying rack. As she began to stack more and more dishes into the rack (Did I mention she loves to clean?), the ladle got pushed out and fell to the floor in pieces. Even though the ladle was probably one of those crappy $3.99 souvenirs, I was still a little saddened that it broke.

When I told Crazy Grandma that I was disappointed it broke, all she had to say to me was, "You tink dis waz gonna last your entire life? Nooo way. This would've broke before you die. No big deal. You alive, spoon dead."

STORY #2
Crazy Grandma played with the kids for a long time this afternoon. When the kids took their nap, she recounted to me this elaborate imaginary trip she took with the kids.

"It was soooo cute," she started. "At first I told dem we go to zoo. So I take stuffy animals out and we go visit dem. After dat I said we go have tea. I take blocks and make rittle tea cups and we all have tea. Soooo cute! Den I tell kiddies dat we should go visit Auntie Anne in New York. I take basket upside-down, put over our heads, and pretend it airplane. Soooo cute! And den when we land, we take taxi to Auntie Anne. So I push kiddies in the basket across room. At last we knock on door and pretend to visit Auntie Anne. So tiring, but sooo cute!"

"Sounds like fun, but what basket did you use that you all were able to fit in?" I asked.

"Dat big white basket in dah living room," said Crazy Grandma.

"You used that basket? I was doing the laundry and that was the dirty hamper for our socks and underwear!"

"WHAAAAAT?" sputtered a disgusted Crazy Grandma. "I put dat dirty ting on my head? Ack! I got your poop in my hair!"

No comments: