Thursday, March 20, 2008

Day 180 - 6 Month Doctor Appt

Yesterday the kids had their six-month check-up.  I can't believe it has already been six months.  It seems like yesterday when Lisa's vagina was a gigantic, mangled, over-puffed piece of cheese popcorn.  

Andrew and Emma still are a bit young to remember why they go to the doctor's office, so it is an easy trip for us.  Our pediatrician, Dr. Osher, says that as kids get older just driving by the doctor's office can get kids into a tizzy.  I don't know if her use of the word "tizzy" is the same way I use it every time I pass by a strip club; I think not.

The next big step for us and the kids is that we are now going to begin introducing solid foods.  We're going to start off with rice cereal followed by some vegetables and fruits in the upcoming weeks and months.  The doctor told us to start off with the blandest foods and to stick with one type of food for at least four to five days before giving them something new.  I asked when we can start giving Emma ribs, and the doctor laughed at my joke.  Sadly...twas not a joke.  Emma wants ribs.

Currently, Andrew is 25 1/4" tall and 16 pounds and 9 ounces.  That puts him in the 20th percentile for height and 40th percentile for weight.  Emma is also 25 1/4" tall and 18 pounds and 2 ounces.  That puts her in the 40th percentile for height and 95th percentile for weight.

Yes.

That's right.

95th percentile for weight.

Ordinarily, I'd be overjoyed (or in this case overweight?) if my child came home and told me, "Guess what, Dad!  I got a 95% on my test."  It's just that I don't know if you want to be in the 95th percentile for chubbiness.  It's kinda like if Andrew came home and said, "Guess what, Dad!  I got a 95% on my test for being a dumbass!"  That's nothing to be proud of...although I suppose like father like son.

In all honesty, neither Lisa or I are very concerned about Emma's weight.  We know it's just baby fat and it will eventually go away.  The important thing is that our kids are healthy and they're hitting all of their developmental milestones.  And once Emma starts crawling and walking, all of that baby fat will be but a memory.  Unless she starts crawling and walking towards a slab of ribs.



No comments: