Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 930 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week, I asked whether or not you thought Disneyland was too expensive. Seventy-eight percent believed Disneyland is indeed too expensive. Then again, those same people who thought Disneyland was too expensive are also stockholders of Goldman Sachs, AOL, and Blockbuster. Tough few years, eh?

I do agree Disneyland is expensive. I remember when I was a child, Disneyland probably wasn't much more than twenty dollars to get in. Then again, back then Disneyland only had two attractions: Storybook Land Canal Boats and Great Moment with Mr. Lincoln. And this was so long ago, the show was performed by the actual President Lincoln.

But despite the cost, I will also agree that you get a lot of priceless moments of wonder and awe from your kids. Just seeing their reaction the first time they ride Peter Pan or watching fireworks or falling on the concrete or refusing to get in the stroller or crying bloody murder in the Haunted Mansion...wait a second. I want my money back, dammit!

**********

Emma has a new fear: flies. I don't know when or how it happened, but if she sees a fly buzzing outside she freaks out. I tried to explain to her that flies are actually harmless by having her watch the David Cronenberg movie The Fly. I figured by watching the movie, she would understand that there are much scarier and worse flies to be worried about. Surprisingly, the movie just reinforced her fear.

What do you do when your toddler has a fear of something? Crazy Grandma and Lisa have been trying to calm her down by closing the window blinds if Emma sees a fly outside. But does this encourage Emma to continue her fear of flies? Of should we do something Fear Factor-style and dump a bucket full of flies on Emma's face when she's sleeping? What would you do?

No comments: