Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Day 324 - Wii Not Fit


This past Sunday, Lisa and I bought a Wii Fit at Best Buy. We knew ahead of time that Best Buy would have it in stock so we got to the store about 25 minutes before it opened. And lo and behold there were at least two dozen people already in line. Two dozen overweight, video game geeks.

For those of you who don't know what the Wii Fit is, it is this peripheral that you use with your Nintendo Wii. And for those of you who don't know what the Nintendo Wii is, please stop reading and visit the blog tomorrow. The peripheral is a balance board that not only weighs you, but can determine your center of gravity. Based on these two things, the Wii Fit software can track your weight and your BMI (Body Mass Index, not Bowel Movement Index as I thought) as it puts you through a series of exercises. There are four categories: Yoga, Strength Building, Aerobics, and Balance Games. I hear if you complete every activity, you unlock a fifth category: Go Outside and Get a Life.

Lisa has been interested in this device because ever since she has stopped breast feeding, she has been slowly gaining some weight back. Just by breast feeding, an individual can burn 500 calories a day. That's almost equivalent to jogging for almost an hour! Lisa figured since it's nearly impossible to go to our fitness center during the week, maybe this video game can be a good substitute for antiquated methods of losing weight like jogging in the park, swimming in a pool, or walking (who walks in Los Angeles?!?).

As for myself, I too have gained a few pounds over the past year. Before the twins were born, I would go to the gym at work and then jog a few miles on the weekends. But now, all I have time to do is jog during the weekends. Granted I have always had the physique of a Long Duck Dong or a Short Round, but even Short Round might get a little soft around the corners in his middle age. So this Wii Fit might do me some good too.

It has only been three days since we've started our Wii Fit fitness challenge: Lisa hopes to lose 10 pounds in two months; I'm hoping to lose 6 pounds in two months. We're going to try and use the Wii Fit thirty minutes every day. And let me tell you, if you do the exercises correctly you can work up quite a sweat. We'll see how it goes!

I've included a little video of Lisa using the Wii Fit for the first time. I think it's going to be a long two months...

No comments: