Saturday, May 10, 2008

Day 231 - Auntie Susan Was Right!

Ever since I posted the entry describing how Andrew was able to pull himself up in the crib, Lisa's sister, Susan, got on our case. You see, she's a pediatric intensive care nurse and has seen too many babies topple over a crib because the mattress was too high. She wanted us to lower those cribs now! She also wanted us to call her after we lowered them. She meant it! Really, she did. Look at this comment she posted earlier this week:

LOWER THOSE CRIBS RIGHT NOW!!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME????? PLEASE CALL ME TONIGHT AFTER YOU'VE LOWERED THE CRIBS...I MEAN IT!!!! - Auntie Susan, your Pediatric Intensive Care Nurse

How could we not think she was serious about it. When she typed she used all-caps and used a total of nine exclamation marks with just four sentences. She meant business.

Well, as you know with my line of work (television production and the occasional male gigolo gig) I have to put in long hours and I tend to come home fairly late. Since Andrew was not able to pull himself up in the crib unless we put him in there sitting up, both Lisa and I figured we would just do it this weekend when there was more time.

Lo and behold, look what happened! Andrew fell out of the crib! We don't know what happened. One second he was in the crib. Six seconds later he was holding onto the crib. Seven second later one leg was out of the crib. Nine seconds later he had both arms out of the crib. Eight seconds later he had his entire body out of the crib and was hanging on for dear life. Eight seconds later his left hand came loose. Three seconds later I put his left hand back on the crib. Seven seconds later both hands cam loose. And then he fell!!! I wish I could take those fifty seconds back.

Obviously, I'm just being a smartass. Andrew didn't fall out of the crib. But I did lower the crib today as shown in this picture:


You may think it weird that I posted this picture on the blog. But Pediatric Intensive Care Nurse Auntie Susan wanted to see proof that we lowered the crib so here it is (do I sense a lack of trust?) So there ya go. Lowered crib and everybody is happy...except for Andrew who is still on the floor next to the crib crying. Damn...forgot he was there.

2 comments:

Susan Tajii said...

OK, that's one crib, what about the other one??? - Love, Auntie Susan, your favorite PICU RN and No. 1 pest

Unknown said...

Um, call me Captain Obvious but why didn't you just take the cribs apart and move them while lowering them?