Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day 225 - Fruits in the Family


Please don't assume by today's entry title that this was my family's nickname for me because I did musical theater in high school and college. That is far from the truth because my dad and mom lovingly nicknamed me Closetboy. So there.

What I'm actually talking about is the introduction of fruit into our kid's diet. We decided after a lengthy introduction of vegetables (peas, green beans, carrots, and sweet potatoes), we would mix up the menu with a little fruit. To be precise, apple sauce. Originally, I thought pomegranates would be a tasty treat, but Emma and Andrew still have a hard time using that thumb of theirs. I mean if a baby monkey can pick its butthole, why can't a seven month old baby pick out a pomegranate seed. Am I right?

We prepared their regular dinner of oatmeal and pureed sweet potatoes. Funny enough, that's what Grandma & Grandpa Ichikawa had for dinner too. And in a smaller bowl, we put in a few tablespoons of apple sauce. Everything you feed a baby seems to be measured in tablespoons. It may seem like a small amount of food, but you'd be amazed how long it takes to feed a baby four tablespoons of food. I know it amazes me every...single...night.

Lisa and I take turns feeding the kids, and tonight I had Emma. Emma was chomping down her food pretty good (as usual), but then began to get fussy. She would whine and cry. Occasionally when she calmed down, I would be able to pop in a spoonful of oatmeal. And occasionally, she would be able to pop it out. And by pop I mean spit.

Since it seemed like Emma was almost through eating her food, I decided to introduce the apple sauce. When she took her first bite, she puckered up her entire face. I assumed it must've been the tartness of the apple sauce. But I was wrong: my elbow was on her hand. I fed her another spoonful and her lips began to smack. The crying stopped and she was enjoying her apple sauce. While she was happily eating her apple sauce, I decided to sneak in another bite of oatmeal and sweet potatoes.

That wasn't a good idea.

WAH...WHINE...WAH...BAWL...GIVE ME MY DAMN APPLE SAUCE...WAH...BAWL!

So the apple sauce was a success. Andrew also cleaned up his bowl of sauce with great gusto. The Ichikawa family likes their sweets, and this is no surprise that Emma and Andrew do too. And with a little bit of luck, one day Andrew might be a great big fruit just like his daddy. I mean things look swell, things look great, he might have the whole world on a plate.

No comments: