Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Day 75 - Make 'Em Laugh


I admit it: I'm a laugh whore. I'll pretty much do anything for a laugh. Trying to be funny even got me slapped three times on three separate occasions in middle school -- all by girls. The last slap in seventh grade had something to do with me making a tampon joke in class to a menstruating girl. Before you judge me that same tampon joke is how I won over Lisa. So who's laughing now?

So it should come to no surprise how happy I am to report that Emma laughed for the first time! I started off with some current material about the Iran report and a few Obama jokes. I think that went over her head, so I went the other direction with some prop gags and impersonations like Regis Philbin working for Best Buy ("I'm outta remote CONTROLS!"). When that didn't work, I resorted to funny faces and noises. And bingo! Several laughs in a row.

As for Andrew, he's not quite at the laughing stage, but he is smiling more often than usual. When people say girls tend to mature at a faster rate than boys, I'd have to believe them. For the most part, Emma is about a week ahead of Andrew with most major changes. She was the first to laugh, smile, make eye contact, and solve simple algebra problems. The one thing that Andrew is ahead of Emma is movement. He kicks, swats, and cranes his head around a lot more than Emma. But as mentioned by our doctor in a previous entry, Emma's movement might be hindered by one significant factor: heft.


"Daddy...that tampon joke is hee-lay-ree-us!!!"

No comments: