Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Day 645 - Slip of the Tongue


Emma showed more affection towards people before Andrew. She would give kisses and hugs, and we even caught her posting a personal ad on Craigslist. It wasn't that Andrew didn't want any personal contact at all, but he just didn't seek it as much as Emma. That's the same excuse I used in high school to protect my constantly broken heart. Aaaaaand...begin the pity parade for me...now!

But as it so often does with toddlers, a lot has changed with Andrew over the past weeks. He has now become much more affectionate, but only during certain times: when he wakes up, when he goes to sleep, when Lisa or I are leaving for work, and when he eats oysters. It's pretty cute when we carry him because he likes to hold on tight, hide his face on our shoulder, and give us kisses.

Ordinarily, kisses would be a loving gift from your child. But there's a certain problem when Andrew kisses us: he uses his tongue. Not all of the time, mind you. I'd say 75% of the time he uses lip, and the other 25% is tongue. I have no idea where he picked up this habit from because Lisa and I certainly aren't French, and I lost the use of my tongue during my unfortunate accident while defending my title as World Champion Dog French Kisser.

The first time Andrew kissed me with tongue, I thought I was in some sort of bad Nickelodeon version of Brokeback Mountain starring the Jonas Brothers. I didn't freak out, but it certainly surprised me. I explained to him why it was inappropriate to kiss with your tongue, and to please not do that until he is at least fourteen and with a hot girl.

Not surprisingly, Andrew has continued to kiss with his tongue. I'm assuming he's kissing with his tongue to get a reaction from us, but it's very hard not to have any reaction at all. I'll interpret this behavior as another phase, and I'm sure his French kissing will one day come to an end. I just hope when it does end, it doesn't get replaced with neck hickeys.

No comments: