Monday, October 20, 2008

Day 393 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week I asked what we should do with Emma when she is whiny and seeking attention. Seventy-three percent of you say we should go ahead and pick her up, cuddle her, kiss her, buy her a pony, and erect a monument in honor of her. Twenty percent of you say we should not pick her up, but comfort her with words such as "It's okay," "You're not hurt," and "The bleeding will stop soon." I think what Lisa and I have been doing is something in between. If she trips and starts to whine, we will just tell her everything is okay. But if it's the end of the day and she's really tired and fussy, then we'll pick her up and build a small Lego monument in honor of her.

**********

Last Friday was my last day of work on a television pilot. Today is my first day of work as Mr. Mom. I don't know how long I'll be Mr. Mom because there might be a possible job out there, but I'm prepared to stick with it until my television show returns next February. And if my show doesn't return, do any of you out there know someone who would like to hire a sarcastic, yet charming man-child?

I'll probably devote an entry to my first week of being at home, but there was one thing that gnawed at me today: I didn't know how much to entertain the kids. As an uncle it has been easy for me to entertain nieces and nephews for a few hours. But as a dad, your material starts to run out. Imagine seeing the same stand-up act over and over and over again; that's me as a dad! My material is getting old. There's only so many times peek-a-boo and look-at-me-in-mommy's-clothes will get a baby to smile.

But should I feel guilty about not engaging with the kids every minute of the day? Is it okay for me to read a magazine on the floor while the kids are playing with stacking cups? Is it okay for me to put the kids in the crib while I go out to "lunch" with my mistress? These are the things that confuse me.

No comments: