Sunday, October 12, 2008

Day 385 - Emma Has the Clap!

No, no, no! I'm not talking about gonorrhea. If I was, today's entry would be called "Lisa Has the Clap!"

About a week ago, Lisa taught Emma how to clap. Up until then, Emma would just flail her arms in the air much like her daddy did in elementary school when a pop fly ball would hurl towards him in left field. So Lisa corrected Emma and helped her practice bringing her hands together. And by George, Emma got it!

What's more exciting for me is that you can ask Emma to clap, and she will! Emma actually understands the words coming out of my mouth. This makes me think Emma is smarter than Lisa because there are so many times when I ask Lisa to do something, but she just ignores me. I don't know if Lisa can't hear me or has a hard time with comprehension, but she acts like I'm not even there. I hope Lisa's okay. Maybe she just needs a q-tip?

I'd have to say this is the first time I really feel like I'm communicating with one of our kids. Everything has been reactive for me so far. The kids want something, and we respond. But now I can speak to Emma, and she'll react to me.

"Emma, will you please clap for me or else you'll never see your mother again?"

And then Emma claps...and I release Lisa from the dungeon.

Here's a short little clip of Emma clapping:

No comments: