Saturday, October 4, 2008

Day 377 - One Year Doctor Appointment


Yesterday, Emma & Andrew had their one year doctor's appointment. According to the doctor, the kids are "perfectly" healthy and seem to be developing just fine.

Every time we have a doctor's appointment, my mom has a question we must ask the doctor. This time Crazy Grandma Ichikawa wanted us to ask the doctor if the pieces of meat we were feeding the kids were too big. Common sense tells me that if the pieces were too big for the kids, they would've choked by now. BUT we still asked the doctor, and she responded what we were doing with the shredded chicken was fine and we could actually introduce all types of meats to them now. Goodbye chicken, hello big ass theme park turkey leg.

What I always like to find out is how large the kids are getting. Andrew is now 30 inches tall and 20 pounds. This puts him in the 55th percentile for height and the 15th percentile for weight. The doctor told us that he just seems to be one of those scrawny, lanky kids. This amazes me because everyone tells us that Andrew looks like me, yet I am such a mammoth of muscle so how could Andrew look like me? As for Emma, she is 31 inches tall and 23 pounds. This puts her in the 96th percentile for height and the 80th percentile for weight. The doctor told us that she just seems to be one of those....and then she bit her tongue and turned away from us.

Below, I made a progress chart showing how Emma and Andrew have been tracking over the past year. The blue and yellow lines on the top represents their height in inches. For the most part they have been tracking pretty evenly although Emma is just a little taller than Andrew. The green and red lines on the bottom represents their weight in pounds. I think it goes without saying that the green line is Emma and the red line is Andrew. For the first few months the kids were pretty similar, but then Emma just took off and never looked back.
And when I say she never looked back, I mean it literally. She can't turn her head anymore because her chin gets in the way.

Regardless of height and weight, the most important fact is that the kids are healthy. Lisa and I have had a very fortunate first year with the kids void of illness and troubles. And despite all of this good news, I still can't get this image of the kids growing up into something that looks a little like this:


No comments: