Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 287 - Last Birthday Party (for awhile)

On Saturday, we went to our fifth birthday party in a month. This birthday party was for our friend's kid, Jared, who turned three.

Jared is a pretty smart kid who has this obsession with letters. Everywhere you look in the house there are letters: 'ABC' on a pad of paper; 'DOG' on a chalkboard; 'XXX' on a video box. So for his birthday, we bought him these foam letter stamps (see below picture). As soon as he took them out, he had to put them in the correct alphabetical order. And when he put them away, he once again had to put them in the bag in order. Smart kid, right? I think the only thing I was obsessed with as a child were my boogers and look how far that has gotten me.

Jared also has food allergies. So the delicious birthday cupcakes you see are all vegan. Unfortunately, poor Jared had an allergic reaction to something at the end of his birthday party. We're not too sure what he ate, but his eyes got red, irritated, and watery; similar to Lisa's first reaction seeing me naked.

Emma also got a little grumpy at the birthday party. As I have mentioned, Emma has been trying really hard to crawl. There are times at home when she tries so hard, she gets exhausted and just drops her face on our carpeted floor. Pretty funny, right? Well at Jared's house all of the floors are hard wood. See where I'm going with this? Our little girl tried to start crawling at the party to no avail and then...THONK...she dropped her head on the wood floor. And instead of an instantaneous bawl, you saw Emma's face go through a multitude of thoughts and emotions: surprise, confusion, anger, betrayal, pain, hurt, and then just good old plain being pissed off.

So this ends our string of back to back children birthday parties. Each party was fun and special in their own way and gave us ideas for Emma's & Andrew's birthday. What I learned from all of these parties was the following: your kid ain't gonna remember a damn thing. Yup. When your kid turns one there's no way he's going to remember anything about a birthday party. Hell, coming out of your mom's vagina has got to be one of the most traumatic things in your life, but who remembers that? I sure don't know what my mom's vagina looks like. The bottom line is that I'm going to photoshop Andrew and Emma into a couple of birthday party pictures and glue it in a scrapbook. I love my kids to death, but throwing a kid's birthday party is literally death.

Happy birthday, Jared!

No comments: