Sunday, February 10, 2008

Day 141 - Locket Project

For Christmas, I bought Lisa a locket and told her I would put pictures of the kids inside it. Forty-seven days later, Lisa gave me the locket tonight and said, "Where are my pictures?" Pushy, pushy! Geesh. It's not like I wasn't working.*

So I went through all of the recent pictures of the kids and selected these two photos:


I must say it's great to live in the age of digital pictures, but you sure do end up with a lot more pictures than you need. I remember having my old 35mm point and shoot, and I would make sure I wouldn't waste my 24 or 36 photos; every shot had to count. Nowadays, you can set your digital camera on the multi-burst mode and take 80 pictures of your kid hoping for that one special shot. But with me, I not only look for the good photo, but I look for the weird and odd ones. Like this picture taken the same time as the one above of Emma smiling:


Emma looks like Lisa after a Frat party during college. Call me odd (which I'm sure many of you have), but I find these pictures just as entertaining and fun as the happy, smiling ones.

But back to this whole locket project. I took the two pictures of the kids and went into Photoshop to crop and shrink it. With a ruler, I measured the size of the locket and resized the pictures accordingly with enough room around the head to fit the shape of a heart. I inserted my glossy photo paper, printed the pictures, and grabbed a nice pair of scissors.

I outlined a large heart around Andrew's head and kept on cutting it down until it fit inside the locket. Perfect fit! I started to do the same with Emma's head. But I ran into a problem. I was running out of room. Emma's head was too big! I swear to you I made sure Andrew's and Emma's head were resized in Photoshop to be the same size, but I didn't think about the simple fact that Emma's head is just bigger than Andrew's. Eventually I was able to fit Emma's head in the locket, although she has a large divot at the top of her head and part of her ear was cut off.

When you look at the pictures in the locket, they're so small you can't tell that Emma is doing a Van Gogh impersonation. The most important part is that Lisa is very happy with the pictures in the locket. Now what to get Lisa for Valentine's? Sigh...

*Actually because of the WGA strike, I was not working. Shhh.

No comments: