Saturday, February 9, 2008

Day 140 - Double Feature


What a delightful day because I have a story about Grandma Ichinaga AND Grandma Ichikawa. I'm so excited!

Today, Grandma Ichinaga returned home to Santa Clara. The kids were asleep when she had to leave, so I took her to the airport while Lisa stayed home. As we were nearing the airport, there was a car sticking out into the middle of the road hoping to make a left turn. I had to stop and wait because the guy didn't back up.

Grandma Ichinaga looked with disgust and said, "Look at him. Whatta jerk!"

I was shocked! Who knew Grandma Ichinaga had such a sailor's potty mouth. I wasn't prepared to use force on Grandma Ichinaga, but if I had to tackle her to bring down a middle finger I was ready.

It took a few seconds more before the lane next to me also yielded to let the guy make his turn. Finally the car pulls forward, makes a turn, and we're able to make our way to the airport. But as we continued driving, all Grandma Ichinaga could do is talk about that guy.

"Boy! When he drove off, did he wave to say thank you?"

"...no..."

"Boy! Whatta jerk! What...ta...jerk..."

And I could swear as she walked into the airport terminal she was still saying "Whatta jerk..."

----------------------

On my drive back home, I decided to call my parents to see what they were doing. Although every time I call they're doing the same thing: my dad is watching television, and my mom is cooking. I don't know how it could possibly take all day to cook for two people, but who knows. Perhaps my mom has difficulty with cutlery and woks. Anyway, I started talking to my mom, and she started yapping off about how she mailed us some sweaters for the kids although I told her it was close to 80 degrees today.

I asked her if she saw the pictures I posted on the blog yesterday, and she said yes. Randomly, she goes into this whole story of how she can't sleep at night so she thinks about things and thought that I should write a book about the kids. My mom continues on saying that it needs to have a catchy title because catchy titles sell. After a lot of sleepless nights, she tells me she thought of the perfect title for the book. My mom pauses. Prepares me for the title. And shouts into the phone...

"IT'S TWINS!"

...

...

...

I suppose you can rationalize that more thought went into it than just plain "Twins!" And then you had to figure out what word to put before "twins". Furthermore, you had to decide between "it's" and "it is". But then again, a chicken can beat a person at tic-tac-toe so whom am I defending?

I spoke to my mom in further detail about the book title and surprisingly she has always had a liking for that sort of simplistic description. So I end today's entry with a little quiz: Which one of my mom's titles corresponds to an actual movie.


1. (G) 2. (F) 3. (E) 4. (B) 5. (A) 6. (C) 7. (D)

No comments: