Thursday, January 3, 2008

Day 104 - Read All About It


When your child is having a baby, it's the headline of the metro section. When your child is having twins, it's not only the headline of the front page, but it is also that annoying plastic bag advertisement that you have to remove to actually read the newspaper.

This morning, Lisa drove her mom to the local Safeway grocery store to do some shopping. When they got there, Lisa said her mom was that cute little lady that everybody knows.

"Hello, Sumi!"

"Good morning, Sumi!"

"Meet me behind the loading dock for your 'medication,' Sumi!"

After checking off the items on their list, they began their check-out with a cashier named Linda. Sumi introduced Lisa to Linda.

"Oh! You're Lisa! I've heard so much about you. Where are the twins?"

As I said, when you have twins everybody knows. Lisa explained to Linda that the twins were at home sleeping.

"Aw. That's too bad. I would've liked to have seen them," said a disappointed Linda. "Who's watching them?"

"My husband," answered Lisa.

"You mean the one who has no job?" responded Linda flatly with perhaps a smidgen of judgment.

I thought my lack of employment might've been an article tucked away within the Metro section next to a futon clearance sale advertisement. But I guess in the Ichinaga household my unemployment is also front page news.

Also on a different story, but the same general theme of everybody knowing something, our nephews, Jason and Jacob, visited today. Lisa told them I brought my Wii and they could come over after school to play it.

As our nephews were playing, Andrew and Emma woke up from their nap. We brought them out and they were quietly watching Jason and Jacob playing the Wii. In between turns, Jason, 8, started to look at Andrew and Emma. He looked back and forth really hard at them and then came to this conclusion.

He pointed to Andrew and said, "Little head." Then he pointed to Emma and said, "Big head. She has such a big head."

I'm sure Emma would've said something back if she wasn't so busy sucking down formula.

No comments: