Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 1236 - No Sleep for You!

Here's a syllogism to tell you what has been going on in the Ichikawa household for the past month:

Everyone in the Ichikawa house is sleepy.
Andrew is not sleeping.
Therefore, Andrew is screwing everyone over and pissing Scott off.

Pretty much since Andrew started preschool, he has stopped sleeping through the night.  He will wake up several times and occasionally stay awake fussing and crying for up to an hour.  We've tried several methods to keep him in bed, but nothing has worked (i.e. crying it out, soothing him, bungee cords).

Obviously, he is still dealing with some sort of separation anxiety.  Although he is perfectly happy at school, the night brings out his worrying.  He has become our little Japanese Woody Allen.

Preschool has also been the catalyst for other worries that Andrew now has.  As I mentioned in another blog entry, Andrew is still upset that Borders is closing.  Several times a week, he still asks me if Borders is closing.  I've tried to explain to him that if Borders was more prescient about online business and digital media, they may not have had to close down two hundred of their stores.  And all Andrew does to my explanation is pick his nose.  Hmph.

Andrew is also asking when Mommy is going to work.  There must be something wrong with my standard answer of "Tomorrow morning" because he continues to ask that same question at 9pm, 11:30pm, 2am, and 4am.  I must figure out a way to be less wordy with my reply.  Perhaps "Tom morn"?

I hope this is just another phase, but there's something a little more to it this time because we're talking about a personality trait.  I say this because I know when I was a kid, I also tended to worry and over-analyze things.  But I think those days are over because I feel much more well-adjusted with my older age.  As for Andrew, I stay awake at night wondering why he can't sleep and if there's something I could do about it, but there's only so much you can do for a three year old who refuses to sleep, yet it pains me to see him worry about things because worrying is just wasteful energy and it is so important for someone so young to get enough sleep and you really don't want to see a three year old be a worry wart about things that he should not concern himself with at such an age.

...and I'm worried that I'm thinking about how little sleep I've been getting.  Boy, I sure hope Andrew isn't like me.

No comments: