Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 766 - Fall Back, That's Wack


A few years ago, I remember looking forward to the start of November because it was time to set your clocks back one hour. An extra hour of sleep? Thank you very much! But now that we have twins that extra hour of sleep is as non-existent as a quiet house, a stain-free sofa, and reading a book on the crapper for fifteen minutes.

Although the kids woke up an hour earlier this past Sunday, we still kept them to their usual schedule. We put them down for a nap at 1:30pm and put them to bed around 8:15pm. I was fearing what time they would wake up on Monday morning, but I was pleasantly surprised that they woke up at a not too unusual 7am. I patted myself on the back for making sure the kids kept to their Sunday schedule. Great Scott!

I wasn't out of the woods though. I forgot about one thing: the internal alarm clock. For the next few days, the kids had their internal alarm clock set at the old time of 7am. So they were waking up at 6am -- a time that is way too early for me and my still young looking eyes.

Not only were the kids off schedule, but they were throwing my morning schedule out the window too. I usually try to wake up 30-45 minutes before the kids so I can go through my morning routine: eat breakfast, wash up, and have a peaceful number two. With the kids awake, I couldn't eat breakfast without them trying to climb on my lap. I couldn't wash up because I couldn't leave the kids alone. And we all know how I feel about pooping with the kids around.

What surprised me about my reaction to this is that although I've been lacking sleep for the past two years, I held a little resentment towards the kids for not allowing me to partake in this nationwide event (except Hawaii, Indiana, and Arizona...weirdos.). But this reaction once again reminded me that parenting is a life-long experience. All along the way as your children are developing, you are developing as well. You just need to recognize these moments and sort it out. After all, we are the mature adults. Awww dawwwg! Lisa just farted! I have GOT to Tweet everyone NOW! Snap!!!

No comments: