Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 755 - If You're Happy and You Know It, Do Jazz Hands


Despite the rumors and research studies, I'm definitely a guy. And something I noticed among some of my guy friends is the conversation that inevitably comes up: What if you found out your son was gay? And quite honestly, it doesn't really matter to me.

I've known gay people from a pretty young age. When I was thirteen, my first job was a rehearsal pianist for a community college production of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. And for the next eight or nine years, I dabbled in a lot of theater which meant I worked with a lot of gay people. From this experience, it just didn't phase me whether or not someone was gay. Unfortunately, all of these years did nothing for my fashion sense.

And the bottom line when it comes to your kids is that you just want them happy, healthy, and extremely wealthy to support you in your old age. If Andrew told me one day that he was gay, I'd be okay with it as long as he was happy and comfortable with who he is. And maybe we could even end the coming-out with father and son jazz hands (I did learn how to do some awesome jazz hands from my gay friends!).

I have no idea when a person's sexual identity develops, but I have a feeling that Andrew is not gay. My friend Lisa Haskins came over the other night to visit, and as she was lying on the sofa I took this picture of Andrew:


Although I find this photo extremely funny, I also find it sad because what took me twenty-seven years to get to, my son got to second base in two. I'm just going to do some slow Fosse shoulder rolls into my bed...


No comments: