Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day 731 - Two Year Check-Up

Yesterday the kids had their 2nd year check-up. Since Lisa was at work, I had to do it alone. I made a checklist of questions (One of which was from Crazy Grandma...we'll get to that.), prepped the kids about going to see their doctor, and off we went.

The first thing that was different about the appointment was that they were weighed and measured on the big kid's scale. No longer did we have to place the kids naked into the scale that Walter Huston used to weigh gold in Sierra Madre. It was a little difficult to get an accurate height since the kids were bobbing their heads up and down with curiosity, but the nurse and I tried our best to keep them still.

Six months ago, Emma weighed 25 lbs and 14 oz (70th percentile) and was 33 inches tall (75th percentile). This time she weighed 28 lbs and 8 oz (75th percentile) and was 35 inches tall (80th percentile). The doctor asked if there were any tall people in our family. I just laughed and reminded her that we were Japanese.

As for Andrew, six months ago he weighed 23 lbs and 10 oz (15th percentile) and was 32 inches tall (40th percentile). Thankfully, he is now 25 lbs and 8 oz (25th percentile) and was 34 inches tall (50th percentile). Ever since Andrew was born he was always a little smaller than Emma, but he seems to be slowly catching up to her. Who knows how accurate these measurements will predict the future, but the only certainty is that Emma will play basketball in college and Andrew will star as a munchkin in The Wizard of Oz on Ice.

The thing I like about our pediatrician is that she's very conversational and friendly. I think she has a crush on me, but I could be wrong. Let me ask you though: is it unusual for your pediatrician to want to check your testicles? I wonder...

As she was examining the kids, I began to ask her some of my questions. I will share these questions and answers in case any of these topics are concerns of yours:

Question: Andrew still uses his pacifier at night. Is this okay?
Answer: It's okay, but you should try to get him off of it in the next six months. You may want to try to cut the tip of the pacifier so he doesn't get any suction. Sometimes the child will get frustrated and just give up the pacifier on his own.

Question: I've been trying to potty train the kids, but when I ask if they want to sit on the potty they tell me no. Should I force them to sit on the potty?
Answer: You shouldn't force them to sit on the potty, but you should also not ask their permission. Make it a fun time, and when they do something in the potty make a big deal. If you notice that they are trying to go, try to get them excited about sitting on the potty.

Question: Are they old enough for time-outs?
Answer: You can try time-outs if you want, but most children really don't understand it until they get closer to 2 1/2 or 3.

Question: What's your opinion about the H1N1 flu shot?
Answer: It's obviously your role as a parent to make this decision, but I would recommend it. They are producing the vaccine the exact same way they make the seasonal flu vaccine, so the risk is very low of any unforeseen side effects. And since your children have no allergies and have not had any adverse reactions to any other shots, I would recommend it.

Question: My mother (aka Crazy Grandma) is concerned because we have our kids take baths together. She's worried the water is dirty and the kids might get sick. What do you think?
Answer: Your mother is ridiculous. What the hell is she thinking? Is she on drugs? Does she do crack? Wow. I feel so sorry that you have to deal with that sort of insipid question that I'm going to give you a $1000 and a hug. Would you like me to check you for testicular cancer?

So the kids (and my balls) received a clean bill of health, and the best thing of all is that we don't have to go back to the doctor until the kids turn three. Hopefully, Lisa and I will continue to raise the kids based on our Three Hs: happy, healthy, and highfalutin.

No comments: