Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 582 - If You Push Him, He Will Fall


Every morning when the kids wake up, the first thing they ask for is their sippy cup full of warm milk. Well, they don't exactly ask for it unless you count screaming, yelling, shaking the safety gate, and kicking the floor as asking for something. The last time I saw someone overacting like that was when I watched my high school performance as Marcellus Washburn in "The Music Man" on VHS.

For some reason, the kids like to drink their milk standing up which is really no less odd as my habit of pooping standing up. The other day, Emma finished drinking her milk and handed her sippy cup to me. She walked past Andrew who was still standing up drinking his milk. Suddenly, Emma stopped, turned around, and stared at Andrew's back. She took a few steps towards him, raised her arms, and...pushed him over!

Oh no you di-ent, biatch!

Andrew didn't cry at all and just ended up finishing up his bottle on the floor (much like Lisa finishing up her beer on the bathroom floor). But Lisa and I were shocked and in hysterics over what Emma did. Between our laughter, we told Emma not to push over her brother. Laughing isn't the best way to get a message across, but it is no worse than my parents quietly laughing at me when I was trying to convince them I wasn't gay. A fondness for musicals, nylon, and rest stops does not make one gay!

I'm not 100% sure why Emma pushed Andrew over, but Andrew is not innocent either. Throughout the day, we see the kids pushing, pulling, and tugging at each other. I don't think they are doing this to be mean, but I think they do this behavior to get a reaction. From what I've read, the kids are very into cause and effect right now. What will happen if I push over a stack of blocks? They will fall. What will happen if I push my sister over? She will cry. What will happen if I grab a mug of coffee that Auntie Anne (pretzel maven) left ever so close to the edge of the bookshelf? Pediatric Intensive Care Nurse Auntie Susan will get pissed off.

Ultimately, it is up to Lisa and I to teach the kids what is right and wrong with their experimentation with cause and effect. For example, right now the kids are learning that if you fart in Mommy's face, Mommy will hit you. Mommy will hit you even if you are trying to type a blog entry. Sheew wilkl; nogtgt sgtolp; lwkeawsk jdk s;li ejhnol;wa....ouch.

No comments: