Monday, December 8, 2008

Day 430 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week I asked whether or not I should continue our tradition of doing unconventional holiday newsletters. It looks like most of you like a little liquor in your egg nog because 82% think the weird newsletters should continue. The rest of you could care less about it because you don't really know us despite the fact that I have been writing this blog for 430 days.

I have a few ideas for the newsletter this year, but time is ticking away! There's only a few weeks to get everything done, and I haven't even had a chance to buy Lisa's Christmas present yet. Does anyone know whether or not there is an online store that sells monogrammed sanitary napkins?

**********

It's a speed turtle! Whoa-ho!
It's a speed turtle! Oh no!
Man alive, it's in overdrive.
Go, little turtle, go go.

These are the lyrics to the song "Speed Turtle" sung by Brian Wilson on the kid's CD "Blue Moo." One day at work, I started humming a song at my desk. I had no idea what it was. Then it suddenly dawned on me. It was..."Speed Turtle."

Those 6-7 weeks when I was home with the kids, I would play a lot of music for them throughout the day. It was a mixture of children songs, Disney songs, classical music, and movie soundtracks. But the moment at work when I had "Speed Turtle" racing through my head made me wonder whether or not I needed to play only kiddie music for Emma and Andrew.

What do you think? Does it matter what type of music we play for the kids? Is it okay to play a little Madonna or Billy Joel? Or is it really important for our kids to listen to songs that drive us crazy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw something somewhere that read, "Successful parenting is finding 80's music on your kids ipod."
My girls sung Tori Amos out of the crib - Mojo wouldn't go down on cranky days without a little "Raspberry Swirl" (the song not an actual... well... y'know) - but if you're squeemish you prolly won't feel good hearing your tot singing "give me peace love and a hard cock."
These days they still like hearing Tori to go to sleep but during the day it's freaking HSM and Camp Rock crap.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Then again - don't listen to me - I'm the mother that took both lids with her to see 'Twilight.' (It still was no where near what they're used to - they know Buffy like it's mythology.)