Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 726 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week, I asked what you would like to wish Emma and Andrew on their second birthday. Eighty-one percent wished them happiness, good health, and blah blah blah. Twelve percent hoped the kids would receive many material possession and spit in the face of this recession. And a lonely six percent thought all of the birthday money should go to me...Scott...the greatest Dad in this house.

I suppose it was awfully nice that many of you hoped the kids would continue to be happy and healthy and blah blah blah. So thank you for those sentiments. Unfortunately, I forgot to mention in last Monday's entry that this poll would be scored much akin to golf or one's cholesterol test: the lowest score wins. Minutes after I finish this entry, I'm racing over to Best Buy and buying myself the most hi-definitionest television with a whopping $175! See ya suckers!

**********

When I was two years old, the closest thing I had to a personal computer was an abacus. It wasn't until I was in middle school when my family got our first computer: the Commodore 64. The specs for it were amazing! It could display SIXTEEN colors. The memory was a stunning 64 KB. Plus we also purchased the state of the art Commdore Datasette 1530 which used ordinary cassette tapes as a storage device. The datasette was so fast that it would only take thirty minutes to load a large program. Eat that Steve Jobs and your lame iMacs!

Obviously, times have changed. Around our house, the computer is still off limits to the kids. There are times when they'll sit on my lap and look at family photos or google dirty words, but we don't let them touch the computer. But I was at the Apple Store recently and noticed computer programs for kids as young as two years old. Are we really suppose to teach our kids to use a computer that young? And are we really suppose to trust our kids to play with something that costs a thousand dollars? What do you think?

No comments: