Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 704 - Is There a Doctor in the House?


We've been living in this condo for just over two years. Considering we've been raising twins since their birth, I think we've managed to keep the place in pretty good shape. There are a few stains on the rug and a couple of dents on the wall, but for the most part we've been able to keep all of the really nasty stuff concentrated to our abused sofa.

For the past six months, I've been toying with the idea of renting one of those carpet cleaning machines you get at the grocery store. Although we take our shoes off in the house, the entryway is pretty grimy. I imagine it's from our stroller and our corral of dwarf ponies. As I typed that, I realized I should've have been putting our dwarf ponies IN our stroller. Stupid me.

Despite the grime, I never went ahead and rented a carpet cleaning machine. I thought it was too much of a hassle and figured if I could sit on my sofa that is full of baby pee, poop, and puke, then my feet can deal with a slightly dirty carpet.

On Friday night, I decided to make ramen for dinner. I stir-fried some bok choy, snow peas, and chicken, and then added it to our noodles and broth. Although the noodles are pre-packaged, it's still rather tasty with the seasoning package. The package consists of dry seasoning and a liquid/oil based flavoring pouch. I think it would be a novel idea to include high blood pressure medication in the seasoning to temper the sodium shock, but what do I know.

After serving Lisa, I returned to the kitchen for my bowl of ramen. As I grabbed my food, a brilliant idea hit me: I should add some kim chee into my ramen for extra flavor and extra sodium! I dropped a fork full of kim chee on top of my noodles, grabbed my bowl and glass of water, and went to join Lisa.

As I turned the corner to turn off the light, something terrible happened. I lost my grip on my ramen bowl. Every thing happened in slow motion. The...broth...splashed...against...the...wall. Liquid...spilled...on...the...kid's...toys. Noodles...hung...from...bulletin...board...hooks. Kim...chee...splattered...everywhere. Scott...was...speechless...except...for...a...few...choice...words.

It is a very rare occasion when I become a klutz. Stupid, always. Klutz, rarely. I looked around and couldn't believe the mess I made. If I didn't know better, I'd say a Top Ramen factory exploded. As for Lisa, her reaction to my clumsiness exemplifies how she and I are different: Lisa didn't say anything. She asked if I was okay, helped me clean up, and split her food with me. Now if the same thing happened to her, I would've asked if she was okay, called her a messy whore, and tell her to eat her dinner off the floor.

Needless to say, this incident pushed me over the edge and I'm going to rent a carpet cleaning machine. I am sure with my luck that after I clean the carpet Emma will pee and Andrew will poop on the floor. And I think if Lisa accidentally gets the rug dirty, I'll only call her a messy whore in my head. At least that's progress.

No comments: