Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 623 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week, I asked whether or not Auntie Anne (pretzel maven) harmed the kids during her recent visit. The final vote was a tie: thirty-five percent thought she either did not harm the kids at all or she hurt them, but nothing major...like scalding hot coffee spilling all over their soft and delicate baby skin.

The answer is that nothing happened to the kids at all this time! Granted, Auntie Anne's visit was only five days, but a lot could have gone wrong: instead of using diaper wipes, she could've used sandpaper; instead of feeding them rice, she could've fed them baby maggots; and instead of spending time to bond with the kids, she could've used the trip to shamelessly hawk her website "I Heart Daily" which can be found at www.iheartdaily.com and through July 31st you can win a $25 gift card to Fred Flare every Friday as long as you subscribe to their newsletter which you can easily do at www.iheartdaily.com.

**********

I think I overthink things. I was thinking whether or not I overthink things, and I think I do. Not to a point where it becomes unhealthy, but I think I overthink things too thoroughly. I know Lisa thinks I overthink things too much because there have been times where the overthinking turns into worry and the worry never would've arrived if I didn't overthink. So I guess I overthink things to a point of worry but never beyond that...I think, I thought.

I bring this up because after I wrote about Andrew being behind with his speech, I did a little research on it with some books we had on childhood development. According to the books, it does seem like Andrew is a little behind. By the time a child is 24 months, they should have a verbal vocabulary of 40-60 words. I think Emma has that right now, but Andrew is not even close. Andrew is 20 1/2 months year old and probably uses under 20 words, but understands much more.

So I started to worry...because I was overthinking. You see, when I was a kid I had to do speech therapy for about nine years. All the way from preschool through 6th grade, I had speech class. The class itself wasn't that terrible, but it was the occasional inability to communicate that would frustrate me. Do you know how maddening it was to be unable to pronounce the word "restroom" as a child in school? Do you know how many corduroy pants were sacrificed for this???

What do you think? Am I needlessly worrying about Andrew's language development? Or should I do a search for Anne Sullivan's next of kin?

No comments: