Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 609 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week I asked whether or not we should buy two of each toy. Sixty-one percent of you thought that purchasing the same toy for each kid is a sure way to spoil them rotten. Right behind that, twenty-three percent thought that we should get the kids the same toy only if they fight over them. And Crazy Grandma Ichikawa's write-in vote was: Dey are so preshush and dahling dat you should give dem anyting dey want. Also for those of you who are new to the blog, my mom has a Japanese accent -- she's not a stroke victim.

For the most part, we have very rarely bought Emma and Andrew two exact same toys. I have read that it is important for them to identify certain things as their own toys, so they have their own toy car, doll, blanket, and backpacks. But we also think it's equally important for them to be able to share things, such as books, blocks, diapers, and rectal thermometers (which we also use as q-tips). Although I'm pretty much against buying two of the same things, I'm sure there will be a few occasions when I will have to give in. After all, how can you not buy two Lego sets when you want to purchase two 55" LCD televisions sets (Despite the fact that the latter is a bare necessity!).

**********

It is almost the end of the school year which means two things for the Ichikawa family: Lisa will have her summer vacation, and Lisa can once again be drunk during the daytime. Unfortunately, the television show I am working on will have me working through the first few weeks of August so Lisa will have to take care of the kids on her own which is a full-time job in itself.

I was thinking whether or not it might be nice for Lisa to enroll the kids in some sort of weekly summer activity like My Gym or weightlifting at Venice Beach. But my concern is whether or not Lisa will be able to take care of the kids by herself. Please remember that Lisa is a little Japanese girl. She's only 3' 2" standing up, but 5' 3" lying down (Lisa has a big appetite!). Do you think this might be a bad idea? Would it be easier for Lisa to entertain the kids at home with playdates with other kids? And should I be jealous that my kids seems to have more friends than me?

No comments: