Sunday, April 13, 2008

Day 204 - I Gotta Pea


I'm not a very picky eater. Heck. I'm not even very picky about whom I marry. But there is one food that I don't like: peas. I don't know what it is about them, but the way they pop and mush in your mouth at the same time turns me off. It's almost like eating a zit. And who likes eating zits, right people? So imagine my displeasure when the next solid food we introduced to the kids is peas.

As a parent, you shouldn't impose your own personal prejudices upon your children. Whether your prejudices are against peas or nomadic Eskimos, you need to let your kids try a new vegetable or build an igloo on the arctic tundra.

This evening we got the kids in their high chairs and assembled their delicious dinner of rice cereal and pureed peas. Just in case we were going to be treated to a disgusting look of taste bud revolt, I set up the camcorder and got our digital camera ready. After a few tastes of peas, I got a couple of pictures that tell the whole story:



Although these expressions tell a story of utter revulsion, the baby books say you need to feed your kids these different foods around eight to ten times before you can really tell if they hate something. After all, this is the way Lisa looked when she first began to date me. And it only took eight to ten years for her to eventually smile at me.

No comments: