Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Day 192 - You're Getting Sleepy...Not!

For those of you who have known me since high school, I haven't changed that much. I have the same hairstyle, I wear the same type of Gap-ish clothes, and I've worn the same socks for the past eighteen years. I'm probably five pounds heavier than I was in high school, but if you look at my graduation photo and a picture from this year I'm basically the same person: a bespectacled geek looking for acceptance from a cruel world.

But I have a feeling the years have caught up with me -- or at least I look like it. You see, the past few weeks have been pretty tough because we haven't been getting much sleep. I think we've been averaging 4-5 hours a night. Before we had the kids, Lisa was not a good sleeper and averaged 4-5 hours a night. So nothing has really changed for her. She'll get her four hours of sleep, go to work, and return peppy and full of energy. As for me, I was a good sleeper and averaged 7-8 hours a night. Guess who comes back from work feeling poopy and full of inertness? That's right...a bespectacled geek.

For the past few months, the kids had a pretty consistent sleeping schedule:

8pm -- Kids go to sleep.
8-5am -- Each kid might fuss once or twice.
5am -- Feeding
6am -- Lisa wakes up.
7am -- Scott wakes up.

Here's the current sleep schedule:

8pm -- Kids go to sleep.
10pm -- Andrew wakes up.
11:30pm -- Emma wakes up.
12:30am -- Andrew wakes up.
2am -- Andrew wakes up.
4am -- Andrew wakes up.
5am -- Feeding.
6am -- Lisa wakes up.
6:30am -- Andrew wakes up.
7am -- Scott wakes up.
7:05-7:30am -- Scott cries in the shower.

As you can tell from the above schedule, Andrew is being the fussy one. Not but a few months ago, Andrew was the perfect sleeper. We think the cause of this fussiness might be teething. I've mentioned in previous entries that the kids are slobbering and drooling a lot, but Andrew is working overtime on the saliva manufacturing and is chewing on things frequently. I've felt around in his mouth for any protrusions, but there is nothing. Hopefully, a few teeth will pop out soon and give Andrew a little piece of mind...and give us a few more hours of sleep.

Thankfully after the bottom two teeth appear, only 18 more teeth have to stab their way through the tender, bloody gums of our babies. Crap...I better go to sleep now. In a few hours, I'll have to wake up and cry in the shower again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Teething, baby teeth, permanent teeth, dental bills, etc, etc, etc.
Fun, Fun, Fun. Got to love it.