Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 1537 - Conversations with Emma & Andrew


Our downstairs office has recently turned into a toddler version of Michael's.  Neighborhood kids can even come once a week and get 40% off one regularly priced item.  There is construction paper, pens, finger paint, clay, playdoh, asbestos, and rat poison; I really got to clear out those last two items. 

The kids are very interested in mastering the use of scissors.  I think this is because they mastered the use of machetes last week, and the week before they mastered the meat slicer.  Emma and Andrew will come up to me with a piece of construction and ask me to draw different shapes that they can cut out.

Emma came up to me and said, "Daddy, can you draw me shapes?"

"Sure," I answered.  "Here's a circle.  A square.  A triangle.  And what else should I draw?"

"I know," chimed Emma.  "A cylinder!"

I wanted to call Emma a show-off, but I acquiesced and drew her a nice cylinder.

"Thank you, Daddy!" said Emma and she skipped back to the activity table.

Andrew saw what I did for Emma, so he came up to me and said, "Daddy, can you draw me shapes too?"

"Hmm...what kind of shapes do you want?" I asked.

"Same as Emma," answered Andrew.

So I drew a circle, a square, a triangle, and a cylinder, and handed it to Andrew.

Andrew looked puzzled, pointed to the cylinder, and said with surprised confusion, "Wha dat?!?"

Too create less confusion, I answered, "A popsicle."  And Andrew, too, skipped happily back to the table.

No comments: