Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 1410 - Conversations with Emma


When you're with someone all the time, it's hard to gauge how they are changing.  That's the way it is with the kids.  We know they are getting bigger, but it's sometimes hard to tell.  But one physical reminder of their growth is how increasingly difficult it is becoming to carry them up the stairs.

At the end of the day, the kids like us to carry them upstairs to their bedroom.  I can tell they are getting bigger because it's harder to hold onto them and the strain on my knees increase month to month.  As for my petite wife, Lisa (I got $20 for calling her "petite".  Score!), she has a much more difficult time lugging the kids to their room.

One particular night, Emma wanted Lisa to carry her up to her room.

"Mommy," whined Emma.  "Carry me!"

"Emma," said Lisa.  "You can walk upstairs."

"Noooooo.  I'm tired.  Carry me, pleeeeease!" continued Emma.

Lisa gave in, bent over, and began the long, painful walk up the stairs.

"Oooooh Emma," bemoaned Lisa.  "You're getting sooooo big."

Emma just laid in Lisa's weakening arms.

Lisa said through her sweaty lips, "Oooooh Emma.  You're not a baby anymore.  Oooooh.  You're getting too heavy for Mommy.  Oooooh.  Mommy won't be able to carry you anymore."

And then Emma tilted her head up and told Lisa, "Stop complaining!"

No comments: