Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 1396 - What Kind of Hole?


Andrew's speech articulation still is not that clear, so that can result in mispronunciations and misunderstandings.  Both of which happened when we visited the Kidspace Museum in Pasadena.

The Kidspace Museum is a great little indoor and outdoor museum for young kids.  There's a lot of stuff for them to touch and explore.  They can climb a raindrop tower, walk through a man-made creek, and play water instruments.  Incidentally, did I mention that it probably is also a great breeding ground for germs and boogers?

There is one attraction that is a crawl-thru ant hill.  You go down a flight of stairs, crawl through a little hole, and make your way through a dark tunnel as if you're an ant.  Quite a few kids were afraid of this attraction, but our kids amazingly found it fun and wanted to go through it several times.

And this is the part of the story where we return to Andrew's speech articulation.  Inside this crowded museum full of parents and their young kids, Andrew would turn to me and shout, "Daddy!  I wanna go inside dah asshole!"

That's right.  Each time Andrew tried to say "ant hole", it sounded like "asshole".  I guess if you want to be specific, it sounded more like a-hole which made Andrew seem even more comfortable with the word. 

As we winded through the museum, there was an awkward moment when Andrew wanted to return to the ant hole, but we told him we needed to look at other displays.

"No!  I wanna go in dah a-hole!  Daddy!  Take me to dah a-hole!  I want dah a-hole!  A-HOLE!  A-HOLE!  I wanna go inside dah A-HOLE!" screamed Andrew.

I tried to calm Andrew down and clear me of embarrassment by telling him, "We can go back to the ANT HOLE later.  We already did the ANT HOLE many time, and now it is time to do something else besides the ANT HOLE."

Lisa swore I was making a big deal out of nothing, but I tried to explain to her I didn't want people to think our son was saying the word "asshole" over and over again.  And all Lisa could do was roll her eyes and say, "Stop being a dumb-ant, you jack-ant."

No comments: