Saturday, November 3, 2007

Day 43 - Lisa's Birthday & Crazy Mothers

Yesterday was the beginning of Week 6 for Andrew and Emma. It felt like it was Week 5 a few days ago. How time flies at a correct speed occasionally.

Last weekend we celebrated Week 1,924 for Lisa. It was her birthday a few weeks ago, and we had a few of our close friends over for dinner. Lisa is a very big supporter of birthdays. She's the type who will repeatedly say "It's almost my birthday!" even though it may be eight months away. The night before her actual birthday I asked her if she was excited. Surprisingly she said she was not. I told her I was confused.

Lisa explained, "It's just different this year. Things aren't about us anymore, it's about the kids. We've had enough years together to have fun so I'm not sad. Don't worry about me, I'm fine. Just different."

I didn't have the heart to tell her I was actually confused because my wi-fi connection on my laptop wasn't working, but I just nodded and gave her a hug although I wasn't listening to her.

And as most of you know, our parents have been taking turns staying with us at our place. Currently, we have Lisa's mom here. I have become the scapegoat for Mama Ichinaga's behavior. If she says a bad joke, she will say, "I've been around Scott too much!" If she says a sarcastic remark, she will say, "I've been around Scott too much!" If she smokes weed and beds a transvestite, she will say, "I've been around Scott too much!"

When we went out to dinner with a handful of Lisa's aunts and uncles, we entered this huge elevator in the parking garage. A running joke I have about Emma is that she's a fatty. As we waited for our floor, Mama Ichinaga commented, "Oh my! This elevator is so large it can even fit Emma!" An Emma fat joke! I guess I really am rubbing off on Mama Ichinaga. I'm so proud of her.

As for Mama Ichikawa, I sent her this picture of Andrew and Emma today via e-mail:


In return, I received this picture of my mother:


I'm not too sure what my mom is doing, but I think this holiday season we'll be visiting her back in rehab again.

Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments: