Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 1308 - Conversations with Emma


Just before bed, I yelled at Emma.  She was at the top of the stairs trying to open the safety gate.  It's one of those gates that you have to lift up in order to swing open.  But Emma was just yanking it open without lifting it up.  And that was really ridiculous because right on the gate was a sticker that read "Ascendance apparatus instrumentation."  Duh!

But I felt like a fool because Emma made a pouty face and her eyes welled up with tears.  So after pointing to the "Ascendance apparatus instrumentation" sticker and saying, "Duh!" one more time, I apologized and gave Emma a big hug.

The rest of the night, I tried to be more attentive and aware of Emma's emotional state.  As I tucked her into bed, I attempted to cure my guilt.

"Emma, guess what?" I asked.

"What?" she answered.

"I love you so much!" I said.

"I love you so much too," she replied.

"And you know what else?" I asked.

"What?" Emma asked.

"You make me so happy!" I exclaimed.

"You make me so happy, too..." Emma said.  But after a pause, she continued, "...except when you make me angry and sad."

No comments: