Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 1201 - Jitter Bugs: Preschool Week


On Tuesday, the kids are about to embark on their first day of preschool. Lisa and I have been trying to get Emma and Andrew excited about school by telling them how great it will be for Mommy and Daddy to finally have some peace and quiet at home; this news has not excited them at all.

There has been a certain amount of anxiety on my part because: 1) I tend to over think situations and 2) I'm a wuss and have some not-to-be-specified female anatomical parts that causes hormonal surges. Both of the kids are looking forward to preschool, but Emma is anticipating it more than Andrew.

When I ask Emma if she's excited for school, she'll respond with an enthusiastic, "I CAN'T WAIT FOR SCHOOL!" When I ask Andrew, he responds with a typical male answer, "...yup..."

This week will be the transition week for the kids so they will not attend full days yet. When the kids start on Tuesday, I will accompany them for three hours and then take them home. On Wednesday, I will be with them for three and a half hours and then take them home. And then Thursday and Friday will be half days without me. Needless to say, I will rename Thursday and Friday to Whoreday and Vodkaday.

Although I wish we could stay home with the kids a little longer (especially my checking account), the kids are almost 3 1/2 and it is an appropriate time for them to start preschool. Admittedly there is a bunch of stuff I'm dreading about preschool (i.e. illness, lice, injuries, lawsuits), but I do believe a preschool experience in tandem with a strong family foundation can be a great combination for both child and parent.

By the end of the week, I hope the kids will be acclimated to their preschool environment. And if not, I won't be able to rename Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday to Moviematineeday, Playstationday, and Meetupwithmatchdotcomdateday.

No comments: