Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day 1177 - Christmas 2010


Another Christmas has come and gone, and I'd have to say this is the first year that the kids were excited for it. We created anticipation for the holidays by making holiday cookies, decorating the house, and having the kids help choose what items to regift from our crap box.

I don't know how much the kids understand the whole Santa Claus story, but they seemed to grasp the basic concept: elderly men with white beards in shopping malls across the country bring presents to your house after taking your hard earned money with an overpriced photo package.

We had the kids write letters to Santa, and I found out that Macy's had Santa mailboxes at their stores. So I took the kids to Macy's and had them deliver their wish list to Santa. A few days later, I got the mail and the letters were returned to us. I thought the kids were going to get a generic Santa letter back, but all they got was a big return to sender lump of coal.

When the kids wondered why they got the letters back, I wasn't too sure what to say. I didn't want to tell them that Santa did not receive their letters. So I quickly thought on my feet and told them that the letters were returned because Santa thought they were very bad this year. Whew! Good thinking!

On Christmas Eve, we told the kids that they would have to check their stockings in the morning to see if Santa left them anything. When the morning came, it was cute to see the kids slightly curious to see if there were any presents in their stockings. As they poked the stocking, big smiles came across their faces. They dumped out all of their presents on the floor and said with surprise, "I didn't know Santa did his shopping at the Target $1 bin racks!"

The kids were overwhelmed with all of the gifts they had to open. Andrew got a ton of Cars toys, and Emma got a ton of Disney Princess toys. And after ten minutes, they each picked out their favorite Christmas toy: Andrew picked his empty Cars toy boxes, and Emma picked her empty Disney Princess toy boxes. Next year, I'll just do my shopping at Public Storage.

A few days after Christmas, we were at Barnes and Nobles. Lisa was reading Emma a Disney Princess book. At the end of the book, the princess asks, "What do you wish for?" Lisa asked Emma what her wish was. Emma thought for a few seconds and answered, "I wish for another Christmas day!"

Well, Emma...your wish will be fulfilled in 365 days which should hopefully be enough time for Mommy and Daddy's bank accounts to be full-filled too.

No comments: