Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 1160 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week, I asked whether it was appropriate to buy your child a $500 gift like an ipad as a holiday gift. I don't know if Steve Jobs has anything to worry about, but eighty-five percent of you gave a resounding NO to my question.

I would have to agree that it is absolutely ridiculous to buy your child an expensive gift like an ipad for a holiday gift. At that age, they should be weaving wicker baskets and burning worms with a magnifying glass. But what is not ridiculous is to buy an ipad for someone old enough and deserving of it. Someone who tries to keep an entertaining blog about parenting. Someone who would buy a ipad for himself if not for the outrageous price of purchasing pull-up diapers at Costco. Someone who has been taking care of three year old twins and sacrificing his promising middle-management career in failed television pilots.

If you know anyone who fits this description, please...PLEASE...let me know.

**********

The kids are at an age where they are able to communicate their thoughts and feelings through words at a much more sophisticated level than before. Granted, this leap in communication isn't that great when you compare it to screaming, shrieking, and spitting. But it's a pretty big step in the right direction.

The one thing that the kids seem a little flustered with is anger. Sometimes they can't quite express with words why they are angry. Thus the hitting, the pushing, the screaming, the shouting, the gang war, and urinating on the floor to designate your territory.

Usually when I break up a fight, there are screams and pouty faces -- mostly from me. But the kids are now doing something different: hitting themselves on top of their heads. It's as if they're telling me if they can't hit another person, they're going to hit themselves. Doesn't make sense to me, but a lot that they do doesn't make sense to me.

So what do you think? Is this normal behavior? How do I stop it? Do I need to start saving up for therapy sessions?

No comments: