Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 1019 - Poll Results & New Poll


Last week, I asked what should be done about Andrew's crying fits for his mommy. Surprisingly, forty-one percent voted that I should divorce Lisa and get a new mommy. Not too far behind, thirty-three percent said that we should should just tuck Andrew into bed and not cater to his whines. And I guess I should acknowledge to those forty-one percent who voted for divorce that I never realized how comfortable it would be to sleep on a sofa for a week.

I eventually figured out why Andrew was crying for mommy at night. There was a span of a week when I was working late (wink-wink), so Lisa would stay with the kids in the bedroom until I came home. I think Andrew got used to this, so once my work hours returned to normal, Andrew was accustomed to Lisa staying in the bedroom with him.

We did decide to let Andrew cry it out for a few nights, and by the weekend, Andrew was sleeping by himself again. But it was really hard for Lisa to hear him cry for her. "Why oh why," said Lisa. "Why must he love me so much than you? It's tough to be loved...not that you would know."

On a side note, does anyone have a travel sewing kit so I can mend my broken heart?

**********

A big change happened with the kids recently. No, their balls did not drop. The big change is that they are now sleeping in toddler beds! Good bye, cribs; hello, beds.

After months of the kids climbing in and out of their cribs, they became experts at it. Watching them flip in and out of the cribs was like watching little Asian kids auditioning for Cirque du Soleil. It was basically time for the kids to transition into a bed.

For the first few nights, there were a few standard bed mishaps. Both Andrew and Emma rolled out of their beds and fell asleep on the floor. The kids knocked their heads on the safety rail a few times. And the kids found a bloody horse head underneath their sheets on three separate occasions.

But the main problem we are having with the kids is during nap time. This freedom to get out of bed any time they want has gotten out of control. Once the door is closed, this is their cue to destroy their bedroom. They have climbed on the changing table, sat on the top of a three-drawer bookshelf, pulled all of their clothes out of their drawers, and stripped themselves naked. The last time our house got this crazy was when Crazy Grandma and Lazy Grandpa overdosed on ecstasy.

What should we do? Give up on nap time? Be strict and punish bad behavior? Have them nap in an iron lung?

No comments: