Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day 659 - Crazy Grandma Ichikawa Storytime

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into a dirty home...dun dun...dun dun...dundundundundundundundun...AHH! It's Crazy Grandma Ichikawa Storytime!

Before Crazy Grandma and Lazy Grandpa returned to Sacramento, all of my aunts and uncles from Northern California drove down to Los Angeles for a family event. It had been almost half a year since we last saw them because it was around Christmas.

They were surprised to see how much the kids had grown over the past six months. When they last saw Emma and Andrew, the kids were still in their diapers, couldn't talk, and drank out of bottles. Cut to now, and the kids are still in their diapers, still can't talk, and still drink out of bottles. If this is the pace of childhood development, wake me up in eighteen years.

Nobody is ever surprised the way I look because I've looked pretty much the same for the past twenty years. My face has not really changed much at all and my body shape (despite its muscular perfection) is also very similar. If you don't believe me, look at a picture of me from elementary school:


But back to Crazy Grandma... This evening we were video chatting with Crazy Grandma on the laptop computer. Lisa started talking to Crazy Grandma, and Crazy Grandma asked her what our plans were for the weekend. Lisa told her we were going to go out to dinner with friends, and she was going to go get a haircut.

"Ooooooh," moaned Crazy Grandma like a sick cow. "You get haircut?"

"Yup. Going to go get a haircut on Saturday," repeated Lisa.

"Dat good, dat good," said Crazy Grandma. "You know I was talking to Auntie Sachi and Auntie Ruriko and dey tell me dey rike your hair when it short."

"That's why I'm getting a haircut," explained Lisa as if she was talking to one of her five year old students.

"Good good. Dat good. You know what dey say about your haircut? Guess what dey say!"

"I give up," said Lisa without even trying.

"Dey say you rook goooooor-geous. Dat right. Dey tought you rook so gore-gee-us with your hair cut so short."

"Oh wow. They thought I looked gorgeous?"

"Yup yup. Dat what dey say," exclaimed Crazy Grandma. "But you know what I say to dem? I say, 'Reeeeeally? You reeeeeally tink so?'"

And then Lisa grimaced as Crazy Grandma continued to say, "HAHAHA! I make funny! HAHAHA!"

No comments: