Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 1619 - Crayon Creativity

It is nice to see the kids able to enjoy themselves at a table with a stack of paper and a box of crayons.  Some of my favorite times when I was younger involved paper and crayons.  I remember being in elementary school and spending hours drawing and coloring.  I remember being in middle school on the bench during P.E. because nobody picked me and spending the period drawing and coloring.  And I remember being in high school at home not going to Senior Prom because everyone teased me for always carrying around paper and crayons.  Such memories.

On Saturday afternoon, the kids were having a fun time playing with each other.  Andrew asked me for paper and crayons, and Emma asked Lisa to play the "Winnie the Pooh" song on the iPod.  So we happily obliged our creative children and let them go at it with their imagination.

They did not want us to see what they were doing because it was going to be a big surprise.  After frantic coloring, the kids asked us for scissor and tape because they wanted to cut out their drawings and tape it on the wall.

Lisa and I were very excited to see how our little Renoirs were going to surprise us.  Soon it was time for the unveiling of their artistic endeavors.  As I looked at what they did, all I could think was "What crap." 

I'm not being mean or overly critical.  Literally.  They. Drew. Crap.

Lisa was slightly aghast at what they drew.  Emma drew her turds with a certain amount of realism, but Andrew went the Picasso route and drew eyeballs and eyelashes on his feces.  Personally, I thought it was hilarious and was impressed that they chose to play "Winnie the Pooh" to get them into the mood.

We did tell the kids that while it may be funny at home to draw poop with optics, it is not appropriate behavior at school or with other people.  After all, home is where the poop is.  Or something like that.







No comments: